Dr Bruno CayounDirector | Trainer | Researcher
Dr Bruno Cayoun is a clinical and research psychologist and principal developer of Mindfulness-integrated Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (MiCBT). He is the founder and Director of the MiCBT Institute, a leading provider of MiCBT training and professional development to mental health services and professional associations internationally since 2003.
Bruno keeps a private practice in Hobart, Australia, undertakes mindfulness research at the MiCBT Institute, and regularly cooperates on mindfulness-based research with various universities in Australia and abroad. He has practised mindfulness meditation in the Burmese Vipassana tradition of Ledi Sayadaw, U Ba Khin and S. N. Goenka and undergone intensive training in France, Nepal, India, and Australia since 1989.
Bruno is the author of three books, including Mindfulness-integrated CBT: Principles and Practice (Wiley, 2011), Mindfulness-integrated CBT for Well-Being and Personal Growth: Four Steps to Enhance Inner Calm, Self-Confidence and Relationships (Wiley, 2015) and co-author of The Clinical Handbook of Mindfulness‐integrated Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (Wiley, 2018). His mindfulness training audio instructions are used worldwide in various languages, and he is the principal developer of validated questionnaires, including the Short Progress Assessment , the Mindfulness-based Self Efficacy Scale, and co-developer of the Equanimity Scale 16.
- Time: 9am - 1pm
- Dates: 14, 15, 21, 22 September
MiCBT Applied Course – accelerated
**Early career therapists currently in their supervised practice or in the first two years of autonomous practice
This online Applied Course is an accelerated learning opportunity to expand your MiCBT skills. It is specifically designed for mental health therapists who have completed the Foundation Course and wish to advance their ability to implement MiCBT skills in their clinical practice but cannot undertake the 12-week-long Applied Course.
This week’s class will guide you to prepare important bases for a successful programme. You will learn to set a therapy contract with clients, describe the MiCBT model, and teach them the pre-mindfulness relaxation method. This session includes:
- Introduction of each participant
- Planning the implementation of the program, setting goals and discussing professional and ethical matters
- Explaining the four stages of MiCBT to clients
- Setting a therapy contract.
- Setting and explaining this week’s homework for therapists and clients (Stage 1: Progressive Muscle Relaxation and mindfulness of the body)
- Introduction and review of MiCBT theory, course of treatment, and session structure
- Implementing Stage 1:
- Delivering an effective therapy contract
- Treatment engagement by offering a sound rationale for MiCBT
- Delivering an effective rationale for each of the four stages
- Case conceptualization and treatment planning
- Addressing client challenges in practicing twice daily
- Identifying growing insight
- Differentiating pathology from increased awareness of symptoms
- Implementing Stage 2:
- Exposure methods with clients
- Addressing trauma memories by adapting the practice – including demonstration of interoceptive exposure with traumatised clients
- Implementing Stage 3:
- Decreasing conflict avoidance and improving communication and confidence
- Interpersonal exercises and role-play with clients
- Implementing Stage 4:
- Teaching relapse prevention accurately and effectively
- Teaching clients non-attachment to the therapist and ending therapy
- Measuring progress: behavioural, interpersonal, and psychometric methods
- Three x 90-minute follow-up group supervision sessions attended on an as-needed basis.