MiCBT Foundation Course
Mindfulness-integrated CBT is an established mindfulness-based therapy specifically designed to address a wide range of clinical and subclinical conditions. For mental health therapists to successfully implement mindfulness-based therapies, such as MiCBT, it is essential that they first develop their own skills before learning to implement them with their clients/patients. During this 10-session Foundation course, you will develop a sound understanding of MiCBT principles, theory and practice. Following this course, you may then enroll in the Applied Course and learn under supervision to implement Mindfulness-integrated CBT with your clients/patients.
This foundational course will involve didactic, practical and experiential means of learning, including:
- mindfulness meditation (as traditionally taught in the Burmese Vipassana method)
- implementing the four stages of MiCBT, including mindfulness-based exposure and relapse prevention strategies
- Master classes delivered online
- real case demonstrations on video and in a master class format.
No prior knowledge of mindfulness is assumed, however, a working knowledge of CBT or REBT is required. Given that MiCBT is primarily designed to address clinical and subclinical conditions, only registered and currently practising psychologists, psychiatrists, general practitioners (mental health - level 2 in Australia), mental health social workers, mental health occupational therapists, mental health nurses and professionally qualified counsellors and psychotherapists may apply.
You will learn:
- core and advanced mindfulness meditation skills
- theoretical underpinnings and fundamentals of mindfulness practice to understand the complex foundations of behaviour maintenance and change
- understand the complex foundations of behaviour maintenance and change
- how to engage the client in the treatment plan
- the transdiagnostic use of the four stages of MiCBT
- mindfulness-based relapse prevention strategies.
The 10-session Foundation Course is taught through a combination of block mode face-to-face and online teaching using a practical and easy-to-use online teaching platform. The specific delivery is as follows:
- A 2-day workshop (9am – 5pm) presenting the entire theoretical and research bases underlying MiCBT, as well as video demonstrations with clients/patients
- Nine 2-hour (online) sessions
The Online Teaching Platform
The online teaching of the Foundation Course is done through Zoom. It is interactive with everyone online at the same time. Zoom is accessed through your internet browser and you do not need to purchase any software - all you need is a computer with good internet connection, a headset with microphone and a webcam. More information on accessing and using Zoom is provided after Session 1.
- Book: Cayoun, B. A. (2015). Mindfulness-integrated CBT for Wellbeing and Personal Growth: four steps to enhance inner calm, self-confidence and relationships. Chichester, UK: Wiley.
- CDs: Two professionally recorded 80-minute CDs for the full implementation of mindfulness training (also available in MP3 format).
- Free access to over 30 client handouts and therapist work forms
- Free Associate membership to the MiCBT Institute.
CPD and Certificate of Attendance
32 CPD hours may be claimed, but please check eligibility with your professional body regarding other criteria, e.g.. active, special college, etc. (For Australian psychologists, this course meets APS criteria for 32 Active CPD hours). Certificates of Attendance are issued to participants who attend a minimum 7 of the 9 online sessions, irrespective of whether or not the recorded lessons are watched.
Register for the Foundation Course
Join Waiting List
If this course is full, please join the waiting list and we will contact you if a place becomes available or if we open a second class (subject to numbers).
You may also be interested in attending the MiCBT Workshop
Training Quick Links
- MiCBT Workshops
- Foundation Course
- Applied Course
- Intensive Mindfulness Retreat
- Group Supervision
Geoff Simmons, Mental Health Social Worker, Victoria commented on 23-Jul-2013 01:49 PM
This has been a wonderful, hands-on training for me. Highly recommended. Thank you so much.
Sally McCrae, Victoria commented on 21-Jul-2013 21:13 PM
Enjoyed the course - looking forward to next section. Many thanks to Sally and Alice for their time, relaxed manner,energy and commitment. The Webex proved somewhat of a challenge initially, but got there. Looking forward to implementing this with clients.
Faye Evans, Psychologist, MAPS, Melbourne commented on 16-Jul-2013 8:57 PM
Introspective, structured & dynamic.
David Patton, Psychologist, Sydney commented on 17-Apr-2013 04:05 PM
One of the most experientially demanding courses I have attended - but also one of the most beneficial. Thank you Alice and Bruno.
Tony Schumacher Jones, Behaviour Consultant, Canberra. commented on 15-Apr-2013 03:51 PM
Mindfulness is a therapeutic strategy but it is more than this. To get the most out of it you have to live it as well. Or at least try. It is not simply something you do with your clients.
Cheryl Woellner- Counsellor, Sydney. commented on 11-Oct-2012 11:43 AM
Something I feel was the first exciting step in my wonderful mindfulness journey.
Rochelle Shackleton, Occupational Therapist, Victoria commented on 09-Oct-2012 10:12 PM
A very practical and evidence based course. I now have a thorough understanding of how mindfulness can be integrated into therapy, and the tools to help me apply it. Thankyou
Mary Whalan, Counsellor, Canterbury, New Zealand commented on 08-Oct-2012 08:52 AM
A life changing course both personally and professionally.
Thank-you to the wonderful presenters who lead by example.
Dr David Cheah, Doctor, Canberra commented on 02-Oct-2012 09:55 PM
The best course I ever did, and very pleased I attended at the last minute. My sincere thanks to all presenters and admin staff.
Carmel Ashton, PhD, Australia commented on 10-Sept-2011
Of all the professional development courses I have done, this course is without peer. It exemplifies the imperative of experience in the learning process...I have gained enormously at a personal level, and have valuable insight to its professional application.